Rosie Valland (bis...)

I blogged about the young Québec singer-songwriter Rosie Valland earlier this month, when I finally and rather belatedly got around to reviewing her eponymous debut EP. Mightily impressed, I finished my post with the comment, "...Rosie Valland - not so much an artist whom I missed first time around -  more one that I eagerly await to hear more of..."

Seems like I haven't had long to wait. Rosie announced the release of her new single (and which is hopefully another teaser for her forthcoming album) "Rebound" earlier in the week and this time around I'm not going to wait nine months to write about this song...


Similar to the themes of the earlier EP, "Rebound" has that autobiographical feel; again the song feels personal and that air of melancholy persists. But whereas Rosie's earlier songs were painted with a monotone palette, here there feels as if a hint of colour has been applied to the canvas - the touches of brass add an extra depth, the effect is very similar to that on the coda of Salomé Leclerc's "En dedans" - in fact there's more than a hint of her fellow Québécoise here.

The song is again produced by Jesse Mac Cormack and there are some deft touches to the arrangement; the aforementioned brass, the subtle echo and reverb on the guitar, and just a hint of fragility in Rosie's voice.

This is the first great Francophone song of 2015. You read it here...


Rosie Valland "Rebound" (Bandcamp)

Comments