Tamaryn

Back in the day (BB - Before Blog), Smart Antipodean Tamaryn created - on her 2010 album "The Waves" and especially 2012s "Tender New Signs" - some of the coolest, shoegazey, retro-Bunnymen, Cocteau-ish sounds in my record collection (the inquisitive amongst you may have noticed that I'm linking to Tamaryn's Bandcamp page but until I started writing this blog I hadn't really heard of Bandcamp - now it's my first port of call - so unfortunately back then purchasing music ensured that Mr MiddleMan took this 30%. Not anymore...)

Tamaryn checked all the right boxes: Jangly guitar? Tick; harmonious female vocals? Another big fat tick... All that was missing was a chanson or deux en française, but as someone once sung, two out of three 'aint bad...

Since then (and amongst other things) she's been heavily involved as the creative director of  *** cough - blog favourites *** Dum Dum Girls - including co-scoring the incredibly spooky "Are you ok?" short film - but now she's back, with a teasing new song from her new album ("Cranekiss") and with what promises to be a brand new sound...


I don't usually write posts about individual tracks (there are a few exceptions, mind), but with "Cranekiss" not due to be released until the end of August and myself not having the wherewithal to plan for next week, that  alone four months down the line... And with "Hands all over me" - and lets not beat about the bush here - being nothing short of brilliant, a few lines of praise were in order...

"Hands all over me" is synth-pop of the highest quality. It's gloriously Eighties-retro and as one sharp commentator noted manages to out-Madonna Madge herself. It's bright, bold and expansive; all high-energy, resplendent with pumping synth-drums and hooks and a melody that just reels you in. The vocals - comparisons with a young Madonna Louise Ciccone aren't far off the mark - and multi-tracked harmonies are just faultless. 


Tamaryn isn't giving much away about the direction her new album's going to take, but me, I'm hanging on for the ride. 

Tamaryn Website
"Hands all over me" (Bandcamp)

Comments