Songs + Canciones 1

I actually plead guilty to not knowing anything about María Del Pilar (in my defence, I am just a humble Brit) until I saw her opening for Saint Etienne last year at the Fonda, but based on her up tempo fusion of both English and Spanish songs, I decided that I was going to eagerly look forward to the release of her album "Songs + Canciones 1." 

The self-explanatory title sums up the sentiment of the album, a mix of songs sung in both English and Spanish. Although a Chilean native, María is based in the cultural melting pot that is L.A. and so it's quite apt that this album is truly bi-lingual.

Now generally speaking I prefer artists to sing in their native tongue, it's one of the reasons that I so enjoyed Sharika's "Sale El Sol" after the English language "Oral Fixation Vol. 2" and "She Wolf", so it's actually quite a brave move and one that these ears, I admit, took several listens to adapt to but which I've been more than happy to report works really well. 

María Del Pilar.  Photograph (c) María Del Pilar
"Songs + Canciones 1" opens with "Motivation", which has the most catchy of Donna Summer euro-disco choruses. While this sounds as if it would be really cheesy, it actually works surprisingly well, and will probably attract some airplay on the notoriously narrowcast US radio scene.

However, the highlight of the English language songs without a shadow of doubt is "I'm not awake". This is such a achingly smouldering slow burner about the struggle of trying leave the past behind and striving for a new future. 

Having said all that, I really love the canciones on this album; "Quién Eres" is literally that, "Who you are" and all about finding yourself, has the most catchy of hooks that I can't get out of my head. "Miss Funeral", which despite it's English title and "En El Dancefloor", are cien-por-ciento latino pop and are incredibly foot tappingly friendly. Finally, "Huaso de Los Angelitos", is a beautiful tribute to the singer's father and appears twice, once with Chilean singer Gepe as well as a solo introspective version. It's this latter version that I prefer. It feels softer, more like a heartfelt confessional and is beautifully put together.

"Songs + Canciones 1", won't be for everyone (which is a bit of a shame), but it's well worth checking out. 


I for one am a convert.

María Del Pilar Website
Maria del Pilar "Songs + Canciones 1"

Comments